Monday, August 16, 2010

EN FRANCE!

Je suis ici (I am here)! It's been a long 24 hours-- I've only gotten 3 hours of sleep since Saturday night but rest assured I will pass out tonight.

Yesterday was quite hectic, with leaving packing (somewhat) to the last minute-- thank god for Kelly, Steph & Meggie otherwise I would have never gotten packed on time. My travels started off with me freaking out about not having a watch, buying the cheapest one at the duty free store (and by cheapest I mean $100) and then realizing I never called my bank to tell them I was going out of the country. I was frantically running around Dulles trying to find internet and a pay phone and did not succeed in calling because I had to board. Needless to say, when I got on the plane I was close to tears because of apprehension and nerves.

I calmed down on the flight, thanks to Date Night and How to Train Your Dragon (don't knock it til you see it!) and made it to Paris at 530 a.m. local time. When I arrived in Montpellier this morning at 9 a.m. I was dead tired, having slept only 45 min throughout the night. When I located the people who were supposed to meet me, it was a bit annoying because they didn't speak English! You would think the international student program would send someone who spoke English to explain things but that was not the case. Anyway, me and two other kids took the Université bus back to the dorm area and spoke to more people who didn't know English.

I passed out for a few hours and then got up and decided to go explore. When I was leaving the dorm, it just so happened that a group of about 8 other girls were going to the city center so I went with them. We took the tram in, which only takes about 10 to 15 minutes and explored for a bit.


My favorite part was riding the little carousel right next to the tram stop. This is a picture of me and two of the other girls riding it. The one in the middle is Justine and on the right is Stephanie. Both of them go to school in NYC, but at different schools and Stephanie is originally from Dominican Republic, which is cool. We walked around for a bit and explored some of the close monuments-- there's an arc that looks like a mini Champs Elysées.

We headed back around 530 or 6 and brainstormed travels plans for when we get a few days break in between the presession and when classes start. Everyone's a bit confused on this though-- some people think classes don't start til the 19th but some think it's the 13th so if the latter is correct then unfortunately we wouldn't have a lot of time to travel. Anyway, if we do get to, we thought it would be fun to head to Barcelona for a few days and then fly over to Prague and go from there to Berlin, Zurich and Geneva-- Justine and another girl Katie have friends studying abroad in those places.

When I got back to my room I just hung out for a few hours and skyped with Diane (skype me!). Then Stephanie and I decided we were hungry and as we were leaving, two of the girls from earlier-- Becky and Melissa were heading out too so we took the tram back to the city centre and ate at a little café. (In the picture Melissa is far right, Becky is next to her then Stephanie then me.)

Now I just got back and I am super tired-- it's 11:45 almost! So I need to go to bed because we have to be up early for a placement exam. I think we might head to the beach in the afternoon though, since we're done around 2 or 230.

One thing I am not a fan of: no screens on the windows, so a lot of moths are buzzing outside and it's a bit annoying.

Bonne nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment