Thursday, August 19, 2010

Allons-y à la plage! (To the beach!)

Thursday, Aug 19

Yesterday was the first day of classes. I found out I'm in the middle level, which I'm fine with. I'd expect that after 3 months of no speaking French. Hopefully by the end of the presession I'll move up to the C level, which is the highest level. Already I feel it coming back and it's only been a couple days. It helps that on parle en français quelquefois (we speak in French sometimes)- by we I mean the other kids in my program. Taking classes in French for 5 hours a day should get me back up to speed.

Yesterday, we had to go back to the city centre, mind you for about the 5th time this week. While we were there, we saw a man teaching his dog how to ride a skateboard! He would set the skateboard on its side and the dog would run up to it, knock it over so it was flat, hop on and coast down three or four steps. It was awesome! I tried taking a picture, but it happened so quickly, it's a bit blurry.

When I got back last night, I took a shower and my room flooded! Mine is the second room to have done this. The walls aren't sealed properly on one side (I didn't know this at the time) and I had the shower head facing that wall because I didn't want the water leaking out through the bathroom door-- the divet is only half an inch. So when I walked out my entire floor was covered with water. Thankfully none of my suitcases or electronics were ruined, but it was still a bit annoying. I'm going to have to switch rooms which is a bummer because mine is relatively big compared to the others.

Today was fun. After class (we only had two today) we headed off to the beach around 2:30. The beach was about 20 minutes on the bus to the south. The water was a little cold, but so clear and pretty. After playing in the water, we played some volleyball and then took a walk down the beach. The girls in this picture are (from left to right): Heather, Emily, Colleen, Melissa, Becky & me. The middle four go to Loyola in MD and I forget which school Heather goes to.

Apparently tops were optional. But it was elder women not wearing tops, not exactly what you want to see. There were a lot of people out on the beach. A lot of people come down from northern and middle France for vacation in August. The French government makes it mandatory to take of 5 weeks vacation!! We barely get two in America, that's ridiculous. Maybe I should just stay here.

I think tonight we are going out for the first night. This will be exciting because we will get to see a different side of Montpellier, and hopefully a younger crowd. We'll see!

I have homework to do, must go!

No comments:

Post a Comment